Directories

Directories list people who lived in a parish at a particular time and often give an overview of the parish.  They can be used with Censuses to find when an individual moved into or out of a parish.  The following directory entries relate to Boldron over the years.

Baines Directory of 1822

White’s Gazetteer of East and North Ridings 1840

Boldron, a village and township, 2 miles S by W of Barnard Castle, has 148 inhabitants and 1340 acres of land, mostly belonging to H.T.M. Witham, and Anthony Benson Esqs., and lying in the manor and constablewick of Bowes, to which parish it pays tithes, but contributes to the support of Startforth Church.  Directory Fras. Dawson, shopr.; Geo. Dawson, joiner; John Hurworth, vict.;  Jnth. Newton, gent; John Plews, lime burner; Thomas Wilkinson, shoemkr.; John & Geo. Hunter, & Geo. Dawson, yeoman;  & David Alderson, Anty. Dent, Thomas Donald, John Laing, Jnth. Longstaff, Wm. Parkin, Samuel Softley & Mary Wharton, farmers

Kelly’s Post Office Directory of Yorkshire 1879

Boldron, is a township and village about two miles south from the church, and consists principally of a number of cottages.  Near Raven’s Nest, in this township, is a light iron bridge, Cat Castle bridge, which carries the South Durham railway over Deep Dale, at a height of 120 feet. The acreage is 1,222; rateable value £1,601; and the population in 1871 was 172

Private Residents

Coates, Mrs

Vasey, Robert

 

Commercial

Alderson, Thomas, farmer, Bladesfield

Atkinson, Matthew, farmer, Charity

Brunskill, James, grocer

Coates, George, farmer

Donald, Thomas, farmer, Smart Gill

Gargett, Matthew, farmer, Northfield

Hurworth, Henry, farmer

Hurworth, William, farmer

Jackson, Richard, George & Dragon

Plews, George, farmer & lime burner

Plews, John, farmer & lime burner

Plews, Thomas, farmer

Sayer, Robert, farmer

Tweddle, Henry, farmer & miller

Walker, Peter, farmer, Thornbury

White, John, farmer, Northfield

 

Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire 1925

Boldron is a township and village about 1½ miles south from the church, and consists principally of a number of cottages and a few farms.  A Church mission room was erected in 1888 at a cost of £260, and there is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.  Cat Castle bridge, a light structure of iron, near Raven’s nest, carries the London and North Eastern railway over Deep Dale, at a height of 120 feet.  The land is the property of a large number of freeholders.  The acreage is 2,169; rateable value £2,175; the population in 1921 was 136.  Barnard Castle, 2½ miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Wrightson, Charles Alfred, Browside

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

*Addison, Sidney, farmer, Bladesfield

Allison, Minnie (Mrs), frmr, West Hall

Bell, John, farmer, Northfield

Byers, Timothy, farmer, Northfield

Clark, Adam, Thornberry

Coates, Harry, farmer

Hewitson Rt. (Mrs), frmr. Northfield

Jackson, Newby, farmer

Lowes, Thomas, quarry owner & assistant overseer

Lowes, William, farmer Northfield

McDonald, Alexander, farmer, Charity farm

Penerley, James Martin, overseer, Woodbine Cottage

Plews, Thomas Henry, road surveyor to Startforth Rural District Council

Scaife, Isaac, farmer, Smartgill

Tennant, Henry, farmer, West view

Woodhams, Dora (Mrs), George & Dragon P.H.

 

1937 Kelly’s Directory of N & E Ridings of Yorkshire

Boldron Commercial

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

*Addison, Sidney, farmer, Bladesfield

Bell, John, farmer, Northfield

Byers, Timothy, farmer, Northfield

Clement, Rt, farmer, Charity

Coates, Harry Geo, farmer

Collins, Percvl, George & Dragon P.H.

Haygarth, Thos. Hy, farmer, Thornberry

Lowes, Harry, farmer

Milner, Jn, farmer, Northfield

Plews, Thos. Hy, road surveyor to Startforth Rural District Council

Scaife, Isaac, farmer, Smartgill

Wearmouth, Fredk, farmer, Northfield