Boldron Village Hall


The first reference to the building of the village hall was a letter to the Director of the Community Service Council at Durham, Mr J W Twemlow, on 18th March 1946, from Mr M Welsh, the Cottage, Boldron, who was Chairman of the Parish Meeting at that time.  The Womens’ Institute had bought a plot of land beside the village green from Mr Thomas Cook for £15 for a meeting place.  They and the village hall committee raised money for the project for several years by holding events such as whist drives.

The building was eventually started in 1961, with “foundation bricks” being laid by the oldest in the village, Mrs Bradbury and the youngest, Catherine Lawton.  The hall was completed in 1962 and the opening ceremony was reported in the Teesdale Mercury of 1st August 1962.

Teesdale Mercury Village Hall Opening

The Hall provided a backdrop to the following year’s Carnival.

Over the years the village hall has been used for Women’s Institute, Sunday School, youth club, sewing classes with Mrs Redfearn, upholstery classes, computer classes, whist, beetle and domino drives, parties, dances and barbecues.

For the Millennium, an extension was built, with new toilets and store room, the kitchen was moved to the front and the whole building was renovated with new fixtures and fittings, at a cost of £55,000.  Grants towards the work were given by Teesdale Village Halls Consortium, Lloyds TSB, The Countryside Agency, the Carnegie Trust, GlaxoWellcome, Awards For All and Durham County Council.  Pride of place was given to a Millennium Wall Hanging – see below.


Boldron Millennium Wall Hanging

jubilee boldron 3-6-12 018

Boldron 2000 Wall-handing 1

Boldron 2000 Wall-handing 2