Boldron Mission Church
Boldron C of E Mission Church was built in the 1880’s. Before that date, parishioners from Boldron worshipped at Holy Trinity Church, Startforth or St Giles’ Church, Bowes. It was built on the site of an old house, occupied by Jonathan Clarkson in 1841, and much of the building stone was recycled from this house. The font, bell and pews were also recycled from Startforth Church.
The Trustees named on the original deed of 1888 were:- Thomas Plews, the Reverend Hartley Jennings, James Brunskill, John WB Heslop, RA Morritt, RA Morritt, John Mitchell, George Plews, RT Richardson, Anne Teasdale and William Watson.
A description of the foundation stone laying ceremony can be found in the Teesdale Mercury
The money was raised through private donations and through events, such as musical evenings. The Church was dedicated and opened on the weekend of 19th and 20th May 1888 and a full description of the events can be found in the following week’s Teesdale Mercury.
There was a thriving congregation for many years and numerous babies were baptised in the reputedly Saxon font. However, in recent years the numbers dwindled and the Church was sold and has been converted into a house.