Boldron in World War 2

Five people from Boldron were found to have served in the armed forces in World War 2.  The parish showed its appreciation for their service after the War ended by holding numerous events to raise money for them.  Many other people in the parish were in reserved occupations such as farming, but served the country on the “home front” as Special Policemen, Air Raid Precaution Wardens or served in the Home Guard.  Everyone contributed to the war effort in many ways, such as by gathering wild fruit for rose hip syrup and jam making.

Boldron was a “Thankful Parish” in World War 2 – all the Parish’s service people survived the War and came home.

The five people who served in the armed forces were: Mrs W Robinson (nee Hilda Mitchell), Messrs J Aislabie, N Brunskill, G Clarke and R Hewitson.

Excerpts from Boldron Parish Meeting Minute Book

22nd March 1937

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

At the end of the Meeting Mr W Watson addressed the Meeting on Air Raid Precautions.  

28th March 1938

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

Mr Stephenson asked for information as to where Boldron stood with regard to ARP.  The volunteers were anxious to play their part in this national scheme and would welcome further information and some instruction.  The Chairman remarked that the matter was not lost sight of and that Mr Watson was awaiting a definite scheme from the County Council so as to get the local arrangements going.  As soon as something tangible had been decided upon a move would be made in the arrangements.

3rd April 1939

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The ARP arrangements had developed rapidly.  Personnel had been enlisted for Wardens, Special Constables and Decontamination Squads and Red Cross Work.

5th April 1940

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

Following the reading of a letter from Mr J G Harris, Chairman of the Startforth Rural District Council, the Meeting decided to institute a house to house collection in aid of the British Red Cross and the Chairman, Mrs Naylor and Mr Stephenson were appointed a Committee to make the arrangements. 

The Chairman brought to the notice of the Meeting the importance of filling up the forms stating willingness to receive evacuee children in an emergency saying that all

who could owed that duty to humanity.

The question of collecting scrap metal and other salvage was discussed.  The matter was left in abeyance with the hope that something would be done in the near future.

14th February 1941

At the request of the parishioners a Special Meeting was held and a lecture was given on Air Raid Precautions and Fire Fighting by the Chairman Mr M Welsh.

There was a good attendance and great interest was evinced during the discourse lasting one hour.

A general discussion took place and supplementary arrangements were decided upon to amplify the existing precautions against enemy action.

At the termination of the proceedings Mr Coates proposed a vote of thanks for the very able lecture given by Mr Welsh.  Mr J T Stephenson in seconding the vote stated that as a Warden he had attended innumerable lectures on the subjects mentioned, but had heard none more interesting and informative than he had listened to that night.

7th April 1941

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The subjects under discussion included British Red Cross collection, scrap metal and general salvage, fire hydrant and ARP matters.  It was agreed that sand dumps be placed in the village to deal with incendiary bombs and all present were invoked to have spare clothes ready to give to neighbours in the event of houses being demolished by bombs.

10th April 1942

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The subjects under discussion included the formation of a Fire Service for the village and general salvage.

2nd April 1943

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

It was reported that Mr W Aislabie had been added to the personnel of the Village Fire Service in place of Mr H Lowes who had joined the Home Guard.

31st March 1944

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The Chairman gave particulars of a salvage drive in the village. 

23rd March 1945

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The ladies of the village who were present in force at the Meeting wanted to have a Welcome Home Fund for the Boldron Boys and Girls who were serving with the forces.  This was agreed and a Committee elected to carry it through.

23rd March 1946

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The Welcome Home Fund was last on the agenda.  Mr E Hutchinson (Hon Treasurer) rendered a statement of accounts together with a certificate of audit, which showed a balance in hand of £98-16-0.

It was decided to give a donation of £2-2-0 to the Trustees of the Chapel for allowing it to be used for Welcome Home Fund Meetings.  Mr Welsh said that 5 claims had been made.  These had been investigated and approved.  The Meeting then decided to allot the sum of £19-6-0 to each of the following persons:-

Mrs W Robinson, Messrs J Aislabie, N Brunskill, G Clarke and R Hewitson.

 

22nd March 1937

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

At the end of the Meeting Mr W Watson addressed the Meeting on Air Raid Precautions.  

28th March 1938

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

Mr Stephenson asked for information as to where Boldron stood with regard to ARP.  The volunteers were anxious to play their part in this national scheme and would welcome further information and some instruction.  The Chairman remarked that the matter was not lost sight of and that Mr Watson was awaiting a definite scheme from the County Council so as to get the local arrangements going.  As soon as something tangible had been decided upon a move would be made in the arrangements.

3rd April 1939

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The ARP arrangements had developed rapidly.  Personnel had been enlisted for Wardens, Special Constables and Decontamination Squads and Red Cross Work.

5th April 1940

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

Following the reading of a letter from Mr J G Harris, Chairman of the Startforth Rural District Council, the Meeting decided to institute a house to house collection in aid of the British Red Cross and the Chairman, Mrs Naylor and Mr Stephenson were appointed a Committee to make the arrangements. 

The Chairman brought to the notice of the Meeting the importance of filling up the forms stating willingness to receive evacuee children in an emergency saying that all

who could owed that duty to humanity.

The question of collecting scrap metal and other salvage was discussed.  The matter was left in abeyance with the hope that something would be done in the near future.

14th February 1941

At the request of the parishioners a Special Meeting was held and a lecture was given on Air Raid Precautions and Fire Fighting by the Chairman Mr M Welsh.

There was a good attendance and great interest was evinced during the discourse lasting one hour.

A general discussion took place and supplementary arrangements were decided upon to amplify the existing precautions against enemy action.

At the termination of the proceedings Mr Coates proposed a vote of thanks for the very able lecture given by Mr Welsh.  Mr J T Stephenson in seconding the vote stated that as a Warden he had attended innumerable lectures on the subjects mentioned, but had heard none more interesting and informative than he had listened to that night.

7th April 1941

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The subjects under discussion included British Red Cross collection, scrap metal and general salvage, fire hydrant and ARP matters.  It was agreed that sand dumps be placed in the village to deal with incendiary bombs and all present were invoked to have spare clothes ready to give to neighbours in the event of houses being demolished by bombs.

10th April 1942

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The subjects under discussion included the formation of a Fire Service for the village and general salvage.

2nd April 1943

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

It was reported that Mr W Aislabie had been added to the personnel of the Village Fire Service in place of Mr H Lowes who had joined the Home Guard.

31st March 1944

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The Chairman gave particulars of a salvage drive in the village. 

23rd March 1945

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The ladies of the village who were present in force at the Meeting wanted to have a Welcome Home Fund for the Boldron Boys and Girls who were serving with the forces.  This was agreed and a Committee elected to carry it through.

23rd March 1946

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The Welcome Home Fund was last on the agenda.  Mr E Hutchinson (Hon Treasurer) rendered a statement of accounts together with a certificate of audit, which showed a balance in hand of £98-16-0.

It was decided to give a donation of £2-2-0 to the Trustees of the Chapel for allowing it to be used for Welcome Home Fund Meetings.  Mr Welsh said that 5 claims had been made.  These had been investigated and approved.  The Meeting then decided to allot the sum of £19-6-0 to each of the following persons:-

Mrs W Robinson, Messrs J Aislabie, N Brunskill, G Clarke and R Hewitson.

Excerpts from Boldron Parish Meeting Minute Book

22nd March 1937

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

At the end of the Meeting Mr W Watson addressed the Meeting on Air Raid Precautions.  

 

28th March 1938

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

Mr Stephenson asked for information as to where Boldron stood with regard to ARP.  The volunteers were anxious to play their part in this national scheme and would welcome further information and some instruction.  The Chairman remarked that the matter was not lost sight of and that Mr Watson was awaiting a definite scheme from the County Council so as to get the local arrangements going.  As soon as something tangible had been decided upon a move would be made in the arrangements.

 

3rd April 1939

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The ARP arrangements had developed rapidly.  Personnel had been enlisted for Wardens, Special Constables and Decontamination Squads and Red Cross Work.

 

5th April 1940

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

Following the reading of a letter from Mr J G Harris, Chairman of the Startforth Rural District Council, the Meeting decided to institute a house to house collection in aid of the British Red Cross and the Chairman, Mrs Naylor and Mr Stephenson were appointed a Committee to make the arrangements. 

The Chairman brought to the notice of the Meeting the importance of filling up the forms stating willingness to receive evacuee children in an emergency saying that all

who could owed that duty to humanity.

The question of collecting scrap metal and other salvage was discussed.  The matter was left in abeyance with the hope that something would be done in the near future.

 

14th February 1941

At the request of the parishioners a Special Meeting was held and a lecture was given on Air Raid Precautions and Fire Fighting by the Chairman Mr M Welsh.

There was a good attendance and great interest was evinced during the discourse lasting one hour.

A general discussion took place and supplementary arrangements were decided upon to amplify the existing precautions against enemy action.

At the termination of the proceedings Mr Coates proposed a vote of thanks for the very able lecture given by Mr Welsh.  Mr J T Stephenson in seconding the vote stated that as a Warden he had attended innumerable lectures on the subjects mentioned, but had heard none more interesting and informative than he had listened to that night.

 

7th April 1941

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The subjects under discussion included British Red Cross collection, scrap metal and general salvage, fire hydrant and ARP matters.  It was agreed that sand dumps be placed in the village to deal with incendiary bombs and all present were invoked to have spare clothes ready to give to neighbours in the event of houses being demolished by bombs.

 

10th April 1942

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The subjects under discussion included the formation of a Fire Service for the village and general salvage.

 

2nd April 1943

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

It was reported that Mr W Aislabie had been added to the personnel of the Village Fire Service in place of Mr H Lowes who had joined the Home Guard.

 

31st March 1944

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The Chairman gave particulars of a salvage drive in the village. 

 

23rd March 1945

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The ladies of the village who were present in force at the Meeting wanted to have a Welcome Home Fund for the Boldron Boys and Girls who were serving with the forces.  This was agreed and a Committee elected to carry it through.

 

23rd March 1946

The Annual Parish Meeting was held in the Methodist Chapel.  Mr M Welsh was re-elected Chairman.

The Welcome Home Fund was last on the agenda.  Mr E Hutchinson (Hon Treasurer) rendered a statement of accounts together with a certificate of audit, which showed a balance in hand of £98-16-0.

It was decided to give a donation of £2-2-0 to the Trustees of the Chapel for allowing it to be used for Welcome Home Fund Meetings.  Mr Welsh said that 5 claims had been made.  These had been investigated and approved.  The Meeting then decided to allot the sum of £19-6-0 to each of the following persons:-

Mrs W Robinson, Messrs J Aislabie, N Brunskill, G Clarke and R Hewitson.