Boldron Primitive Methodist Church

Boldron Primitive  Methodist Chapel was built in the 1860’s, but Methodism was active in the village from at least the 1820’s with worshippers meeting in houses.  A description of the development of Methodism in the area is contained in –

A History of Methodism In Barnard Castle and the Principal Places in the Dales Circuit by Anthony Steele

The foundation stone of Boldron Primitive Methodist Church was laid by Mrs Richardson in April 1868 and for an account of the ceremony see the Teesdale Mercury of 29 Apr 1868.

It opened on Good Friday 1868.

Mrs Richardson laying the foundation stone of Boldron Primitive Methodist Church
Mrs Richardson laying the foundation stone of Boldron Primitive Methodist Church

The picture shows Mrs Richardson and a large congregation at the laying of the foundation stone.  She was presented with an inscribed silver trowel.  Mrs Richardson also gave a Bible to the finished Chapel.

Boldron Primitive Methodist Chapel 70th Anniversary Tea
Boldron Primitive Methodist Chapel 70th Anniversary Tea

This picture was taken at the 70th anniversary of the opening of the Chapel in 1937.

The Methodist Chapel was often used as a meeting place for villagers before the construction of the Village Hall and many Parish Meetings were held there.

Below are details of the windows of the Chapel.

The Chapel had a thriving Sunday School for many years and a congregation who came from all over Teesdale as well as the local area to worship.  However, as with many other places of worship the congregation dwindled and the Chapel closed.

The building had planning permission to be turned into a house, but with the close of the George and Dragon Inn, the community building that was Boldron Chapel was converted into a social club, known as the Pinfold Club.